Questions to Ask Before Hiring an Interior Designer
2011-03-12 Interior Design Ideas
Most of us hem and haw over important decisions (especially those that will cause us to open our pocketbooks) for fear of making a mistake – or worse yet; having regrets. Choosing to hire an Interior Designer would fall into that category – it’s an important decision that shouldn’t be taken lightly.
There are a great deal of Benefits to Hiring an Interior Designer, but there are also many factors that should be taken into consideration before you make a decision on which designer will work best for your particular needs.
You certainly want to make sure the individual is qualified for the position by verifying their credentials, but you also want to make sure you understand the designing process – which is easy to do when you know the right questions to ask any potential designer.
Questions to Consider
- Do You Have a Portfolio?: An Interior Designer should be able to produce a portfolio of his/her work for your viewing. It will serve as a resume’, of sorts, as it will showcase their previous jobs and offer you insight of their particular skills. Keep in mind, however, that the designer was hired to perform work according to someone else’s wishes and won’t necessarily reflect the designers true tastes or styles.
- Can I See Your References?: Talk with their previous clients, business associates, and any one else that has worked with your designer. Get a feel for their work ethic and personality, as well as checking to see how satisfied previous clients have been.
- What Services Can You Provide?: Make sure you understand what a designer can and can’t do. While many Interior Designers have numerous skills, they may have limitations as well. Know up front if they’ll need to collaborate with any other professional in order to get your job done.
- How are the Finances to be Handled?: Decide, before you hire, the type of budget you are looking at. Discuss payment arrangements, schedules, retainers, etc., that your designer may require. Also, inquire if there is a possibility of additional charges that may not be covered in the original budgeted amount – avoid chances of surprises down the road.
- What’s the Time Frame?: How long is the process going to take – from start to finish? Find out how the designer prefers to work; will he/she be on the project for a few hours here and a few hours there, or will it be completed in one fail swoop? Inquire if your designer has any other projects that they will be working on that might impose on your schedule, and if so, how will that be handled?
Knowledge is Power
As with most decisions, when you are armed with a bit a knowledge you are able to better understand some important factors that will help you reach a decision that won’t leave you second guessing yourself – or in this case; your Interior Designer.
When you’ve come to the conclusion you would like to hire an Interior Designer, you will be confident in knowing that our Interior Designer Directory is filled with highly qualified, professional designing firms that are able to assist you in all aspects of your designing needs, including; business, office and home.
If you’d like a good place to start when considering an interior design style, please visit our Interior Design Ideas and Photos page where you’ll find plenty of inspiration for every room in your house … and then some!