What comes to mind when you think of Contemporary design in today’s terms? Modern? Sleek? Hard? Clean, crisp lines? Perhaps a bit simplistic or even neutral? Would it surprise you to know that when you incorporate a Contemporary interior design style in your living space that it can also be soft and subtle with warm overtones and an ambiance that will cure the worst of bad days?
You can even go as far to say that with the right punch of color, Contemporary decorating can allow you to have the best of all worlds when it comes to interior design. However, unlike the Americana design style of decorating, color should not be your main focus.
Contemporary interior design can be soft, warm, and cozy
Using a Contemporary designed theme doesn’t mean you have to follow all the rules. This style of interior decorating can be as individual as you are. For instance; while clean lines, direct lighting and streamlined furnishings may be to one’s liking, you may be more inclined to indulge in deeper, bolder colors with subtle lighting, ample furnishings and softer furniture.
It can simply all boil down to a matter of personality. That’s why choosing a Contemporary interior designer is so crucial. Not only should you be concerned with their style and expertise of interior design, but their personality should also be complimentary to yours. That way, you’ll be assured of getting a style that is – by definition of the word “Contemporary” – while still keeping the overall theme as individual as you are.
Contemporary Interior Design Basics
In essence, Contemporary interior design can mean different things to different people. With clean, neutral colors and simplistic – or almost nil – decor, this living room reflects a serene, uncomplicated area of comfort, perfect for unwinding at the end of the day. If this is what you envision as a place you’d like to call home, then you may also enjoy exploring our Minimalist interior design photos, as this style can be quite similar to Contemporary style.
Contemporary Design Elements
- Metal, stone, and clear glass is an essential part to any Contemporary decor style. They can be incorporated on countertops, fireplaces, flooring, walls, as well as furniture. You can be as creative as your imagination will allow.
- Minimal window coverings should be considered because daylight adds to the element of this style. However, if you do decide to use a window treatment, consider using textured fabrics in neutral or plain colors that will help to soften and warm the room. Just keep it simple or risk overpowering the space.
- Lighting is a very big factor when deciding on the Contemporary look. Clean, simple, metal lines for the fixtures will serve to showcase the home as well as your wall art or other collectibles. Recessed lighting is always a popular option, as well. This type of lighting can also be found within the Modern interior design style.
- The color palette in a Contemporary home is often very subtle with neutral or two toned paint. However, the use of a vibrant accent color on your throw rug, a furniture piece or other accessory, will serve as a wonderful focal point. Just add a splash (or two) of your favorite color here and there – which keeps you within the bounds of the Contemporary style – but still allows your personality to come shining through.
- Your furniture choices should be kept simple as well. Clean, slim lines are generally considered with the Contemporary design philosophy. You will usually find the furniture to have a bit of exposed metal or wood with the color of the fabric being neutral and not over bearing.
Simplicity is key when choosing Contemporary decor.
Just remember, with the right interior designer you will be able to achieve the exact combination of elements that will compliment your personality while still being able to deliver the overall Contemporary feel.
For more inspiration and ideas check out our extensive catalog of interior design photos where you will find an abundance of decorating ideas. And when the time comes to explore your designing options, you’ll find yourself in good hands with one of our professional designers listed in our interior designer directory.