Updating the décor in your house or apartment to make it feel new and exciting again doesn’t have to be a long and arduous process. In fact, adding a new look to any space in your home can be much easier than you might expect. Instead of spending countless hours looking through furniture or antique stores in order to find the right piece that captures you style sensibilities, take a look at what you already have and re-purpose old or unused furniture to add that stylistic pop that you have been looking for.
Many times, actually coming up with creative designs and ideas is the hardest part of any major change to your décor. Doing the hands-on work to re-purpose the old furniture is the fun and easy part. So, let us be of assistance in your never-ending battle to spice up your space with a few awesome ideas on how to re-purpose old seats and bar stools, in order to get a more luxurious look in your home.
Old seats and bar stools – if you rebuild it…
Many times simply adding new fabric or even repainting an old seat or bar stool will do a lot to make old pieces of furniture look and feel new again. But if you are looking for a more complete redesign of your old chairs and bar stools, you can completely gut them down to only their frames and build something completely new and unique.
- Instant bench. One great idea is to take two wooden chairs and place them side-by-side. Attach a panel of wood underneath the seats to connect them together and you’ll create a beautiful and unique-looking bench with seating for two. Depending on the type of chairs you have or the look you want, you may to change out the actual seating or backing to make the whole thing look more cohesive.
- Funky shelving. Another fun idea is to remove the legs of a couple of chairs, hang them on your wall side-by-side, and use the old chairs as book or picture shelves. The design is meant to be a unique piece that you’re probably not going to find in any furniture store. It brings the perfect blend of rustic and artistic to your home décor.
- Chair garden. One way to spice up your décor using old bar stools is to replace the wood seat of the stool with a pan-shaped top that acts as a flower put, then add just add flowers to create a flower or plant holder.
- Back rack. If you are looking for a fun and unique design to liven up your bathroom, take the back of a wooden chair and mount it to the wall to use as a towel rack. The design may sound weird, but with the right chair, the idea could really freshen up a bathroom space that may be difficult to design.
- Coat/hat rack. Another fun idea is to cut a wooden chair in half, mount it upside-down on your wall, and use it as a coat or hat rack. The design will really add uniqueness to your living room décor – not to mention be an interesting conversation piece at dinner parties and get-togethers.
The goal of re-using old furniture is to find a common use for something in a completely uncommon way. Coming up with the perfect design may require a bit of creativity, but that extra effort will only bring you a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment when you tell friends and family that you designed and re-purposed your old furniture all by yourself.
Remember, any piece of furniture can be re-used in an artistic and exciting way – you just have to have the vision to see it in a new light, and the adventurousness to go for it.
About the author: Lisa Steele has worked in the home and garden industry for over 15 years. During that time she has cultivated her own small business as well as written as a freelance journalist within the industry. When she’s not writing you can find her covering companies like Seats and Stools.